What good is a man’s knowledge unless it prompts him to prevent the pain of others as if it were his own pain? Any actions which a man knows would harm himself he should not inflict on others. The supreme principle is this: never knowingly harm anyone at any time in any way.
– Tirukkural 32: 315-317
I implored the sage in earnest last night to unveil the mysteries of the universe. He whispered softly in my ear, "Silence! It is something to perceive but never to say."
– Rumi, "The Life and Thought of Rumi"
If he recites next to nothing but follows the Dhamma in line with the Dhamma; abandoning passion, aversion, delusion; alert, his mind well-released, not clinging either here or hereafter: he has his share in the contemplative life.
– Dhammapada, 20
If you really want freedom, happiness will arise.
From happiness will come rapture.
When your mind is enraptured, your body is tranquil.
When your body is tranquil, you will know bliss.
Because you are blissful, your mind will concentrate easily.
Being concentrated, you will see things as they really are.
In so seeing, you will become aware that life is a miracle.
Being so aware, you will lose all your attachments.
As you cease grasping, so you will be freed.
– Digha Nikaya
"Osiris was originally a corn god. Little earthen statuettes were made which contained grains of corn which sprouted and covered the statuette with their greenery.”
Technorati Tags: osiris
Q: I can observe anger and work with greed, but how does one observe delusion?
A: You’re riding a horse and asking "Where’s the horse?" Pay attention.
– Ajahn Chah
Those without wealth may one day prosper, but those without Kindness are utterly destitute, and their fortunes never change. Practicing charity without compassion is as inconceivable As realizing Truth without clarity of mind. Before advancing against men weaker than yourself, Ponder when you stood before those more powerful.
– Tirukkural 25:248-250
… for reasons that will eventually become clear.
Each list item is addressed to a different person. Many of those I’m addressing will never see this. Some I haven’t heard from in years. It doesn’t really matter, I’m doing this mostly as a purging exercise anyway. If you choose to read things into my post that aren’t there, it’s not my problem. I won’t answer any questions about who’s who.
- Your sadness is unnecessary – what you thought was gone really isn’t. Maybe we’ll be able to talk about it someday. I really hope so. I have many interesting things to tell you, but the time isn’t right yet.
- My ways seem strange to you, but you accept me anyway, without trying to change me. You’re one of the few I can really be my weird-ass self with. Thanks for that, and I love you.
- You always had a chance, and always will.
- I’m trying to be patient, but it’s not always easy. You know better than I do how time affects things. Thanks for helping me stay balanced and telling me the truth, even when I don’t want to hear it. I know that, if and when the time comes, you’ll help me say what I need to say to the right people so they’ll believe what they think is impossible.
- I hope you wake up soon, for your sake as well as everyone else’s. You’re sucking the life out of everyone you claim to love, especially your child. Money is not the answer. As long as you pursue that to the exception of all else, your life will be crap.
- Thanks for sticking up for me when your sister told lies about me. I hope someday to thank you in person.
- Thanks for your continued kindness and support. It’s more than I should expect, considering the circumstances.
- Your physical condition is a direct result of your earlier offenses. Consider carefully, and you’ll see that the punishment fits the crime.
- I know now why our life together was a violent one, and the hidden reason you had to do what you did. We found each other just for that reason, but I don’t need you anymore. Telling you this in person would be pointless, because you’re too bitter, blind and selfish to understand any of it. Plus, I’m pretty sure by now that any sanity you had left is gone. It’s a sad fact that you were and are an ideal instrument of negativity. I shudder to think that I once wanted to be like you. I am, though, in a way – I’m everything you could have been, and much more.
- I hope this time around you understand the need for self-restraint. It’s so important that you don’t screw up. We need you badly, and we need you intact and sane. As you once helped and protected me, I will do so now for you.
- The song means much more to me than you know. I think of you every time I hear it, and send you love. I hope it’s working. I hope you decide to stop hiding your true self – being who you really are is the only way to make your life what it should have been all along. You’re much stronger than you know. Never believe anyone who tells you differently.
- The game you play is crystal-clear to me now. I can even see the moves you’re going to make before you think of them – that’s how obvious you are. What you don’t say tells me just as much what you do say. The gaudy fake storefront you call your life is designed to present a carefully-crafted image so you can get away with the questionable things you actually want to do. Every major or minor incident is just another opportunity for self-indulgence, as you feed on the praise and sympathy you intentionally solicit. You’re an expert manipulator, and you’ve drawn to yourself a crowd of hangers-on who constantly suck up to you, do your dirty work and lie for you when you misbehave. You’re so in love with your own manufactured personality, you believe it’s real, and are no longer able to see people for who they truly are. Nothing angers you more than life overruling your desires with its own natural unfoldment. I once thought I had reason to fear you, but now I know better. Your petty meanness no longer affects me, because I know the terror at the core of you that drives the engine of your desperation. You’re more dangerous to yourself than to anyone else, but I still blocked you.
- Your partner is bad for you, and you know it, but you still won’t leave even though you can. You’re too fearful and tied to material security. Take a leap of faith. Don’t worry about those you leave behind. Life will go on for them as it will for you.
- I don’t care how you feel anymore. Most of the things you accused me of never happened. The ones that did happen you twisted way out of proportion. I burned your bitter, poisonous novel-length letter years ago, and you along with it.
- Choosing them over me was the best thing you ever did. I’m so grateful now that you cut me out of your life. I burned all your letters as well, without even re-reading them, and afterward I felt freer than I have in years. I blocked you and everyone remotely associated with you. Your lies and filth will never be a part of my life again.
- You tried to lead me down a negative path, but it didn’t work. I refuse to burden myself with debts I’m not meant to pay. I have enough self-incurred karma to work off as it is. Keep trying if it pleases you to do so, but you’re wasting your time. You’d be better off examining your own life, and figuring out why you keep attracting chaotic individuals who lack reason and self-control. And yeah – you’re blocked too.
- Yes – I blocked you, your friends and your family – everywhere I can think of to block. I want nothing to do with any of you. Ever. I know you feel no remorse for your actions, so don’t bother pretending otherwise. I can see right through you, and I know you get off on making others suffer. I hope the suffering you caused us and our relatives fed your ego sufficiently, because you’re getting nothing more. You are dead to us.